Friday, March 26

proud mama




You know those really proud moments you have as a parent that make you just want to jump around and dance? No, not the time your son repeated profanity while shopping with you because he heard you say it not so long ago in a moment of anger. And I'm not talking about on the first day of spring when he screams, "Hey Old Man River! Smoking is bad for your heart you old fart!" across the street to the grumpy neighbor who happens to be enjoying his cigarette and pacing in the front yard. (Thank God for a poor sense of hearing and wind!)

I'm talking about those moments when your child rolls over for the first time and peeks up to lock eyes with you because he knows you are proud, or when he starts dancing in his high chair to the beat of a really good song because he's seen you do it a time or two while doing the dishes. The moment when you toddler rides his bike throughout the neighborhood, stopping at the corners to make sure a car isn't coming. How about those moments when he insists on opening the door and says, "Ladies first."

Today was one of those days.

As we sat eating our quick and convenient lunch at Sam's club today, we started talking about this man who was checking out nearly 10,000 pieces of bubble gum. I stated that I wondered what he was going to do with all that gum trying to see what story Henry would fabricate.

He said, "I'm not sure, but what do you think?"

I said, "I don't know, but I hope he brushes his teeth from all the sugar."

After a brief pause he says very matter-of-fact and with confidence, "My hypothesis is..."

"WHHHAAAT!?" I shriek without letting him finish his thought, which I later regretted because it probably was going to be as equally as good as using the word hypothesis. "Where did you learn that word?"

"Buddy says it."

For those of you who don't know, Buddy is a dinosaur on a PBS show. I was so amazed that he could use the word correctly that I laughed and beamed with pride all at once. I guess a bit (or sometimes a lot, come on it's been a long, long, long winter) of tv isn't all that bad.


We've been working with the baby putting himself to sleep lately. At some points it feels like a struggle and easier just to rock him to sleep (besides, I get a bit of snuggle time with him). Today at nap, he was doing everything in his power to make putting him to sleep difficult. It was when I finally just decided to lay him because I was annoyed that I realized that's what he was trying to tell me all along--"I want to do it myself." He quickly rolled to his side and drifted off.

Those moments that make me want to jump around and dance somedays feel far and in between. But when they do happen, I feel elated, proud, blessed and overwhelmed with the love I have for being a parent.

Thank you boys. I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment