Monday, May 10

goal setting

When I think about my goals in the world of stay-at-home-mommyhood, here is what I come up with...

1. Keep my kids happy and loved. I mean, if they are getting exactly what they need, shouldn't my day be a breeze? I have allowed Henry to eat animal crackers for breakfast dessert because if I can negotiate with him to eat something nutritious beforehand, what harm will it cause? I still grit my teeth and wish he didn't want them at 8:30am but if it keeps peace, why not? Last week I threatened not to buy any more animal crackers because his constant begging DROVE-ME-NUTS!

Some days are tougher than others to meet their needs--some days all I hear is "Mom, can I..., "Mom, I need..., "Mom can you help me find..., "Mom wipe my..." But as much as I threaten to change my name, I still love the fact that I am needed.

I want my kids to know that they are loved. Maybe the fact that I am ignoring them right now will affirm that they are loved, do you think? No, really they are fine--one is sleeping and the other is...hmmm...digging in the pantry...bet he asks me in less than 30 for...hmmm...animal crackers are gone...maybe Oreos or licorice. I'll let you know. One huge hope that I hold for both of my children is that they know they are loved and that others want to be around them. I mean, how much better can that get? To know people out there love you and want to be with you. Some of my most painful childhood memories are not the ones when I received low scores on a math test, but the ones when kids were brutally mean. I think those moments...yep, brought me two cans of Diet Squirt in a lunch bag, after some giggling and begging, I am refusing. Instead he has brought them into the bathroom and I hear the water running--whatever, I'm blogging. Those kids who inflicted pain on other kids were not kind. People only hung out with them because they were scared not to. Why not choose to hang out with kids who are kind, thoughtful and loving. I believe you must feel and see those actions before you can reciprocate. I know my boys will be far from perfect, but I hope through their mistakes they will learn right from wrong.

2.Go to bed with a picked up house, I'll wake up with a picked up house. I had this thing when I worked that if I left my desk clean at the end of the day, I could walk into my classroom in the morning not bogged down from the junk from the day before. I guess I still have that thought engrained into my head at home. If we make milkshakes at night for a snack, and the dishes don't get cleaned up at night, I have to face it first thing in the morning. Only in the morning, everything is crusty and smelly.

3. (Try to) work out if something isn't on the calendar with the kiddos. There is something about working out in the morning that makes me happy. I love it when I pick Henry up at the kids' center and he comments on my red face. Then I don't feel too guilty later when I have a milkshake before I go to bed.

4. Coffee, no I'm not addicted. There is something about it that makes my day start off right if I have a cup of coffee with a bit of cream and sugar. It's heavenly. When I go to bed at night, even if I get woken up several times in between, I know that when the sun rises, I get to have my cuppa.

Okay, I just heard the can of pop open...what the...and the baby is crying....he tried to open it with a flashlight and he succeeded...now he's crying too...crap gotta go, see goal number 1.





No comments:

Post a Comment