Wednesday, November 10

stay-at-home must have

When I started my stay-at-home adventure last fall, I wasn't sure what to expect. 14 months later, there are moments in my life when I feel like this mothering job is spinning out of control and all I can do it just stand there to keep from cracking. This job is hard. I might have one good hour with the boys and then the following three hours could be terrible. However, I feel it's when I surround myself with other great moms--at home moms or career women--that's when I find contentment and the willingness to stay the course. I realize that I'm not alone and what I feel--the stress and happiness rollercoaster is so normal. This afternoon, I sit contently on my couch eating part of what is left from this morning's play date.

I've had a great morning! I owe this great morning to the group of women who help bring all the sanity back to my life as an at home mom every Wednesday morning. Whether you are a at home mom or not, I hope you have good friends to help build you up and support you as a mother. They are some of the most wonderful people in my life. I love these women because no one is pretentious; there is little to no make up worn (or expected); honesty and realness is present; they are God-loving; our children play well-but tears and fighting is expected; someone always has food to be shared; kids eat and it's okay to be a bit messy--there's just so much goodness that comes from surrounding myself with these good people.

Here's how it went...

8:20--Harrison is picked up by my friend Kim, who graciously offered to chauffeur him to the play date.

9:00--I'm reading with Henry in the doctor's office while we wait for Dr. O. It was peaceful, snuggly and lovely to spend a few minutes just one-on-one with Henry.

In the meantime, Harrison rides with Kim and company to Suzanne's house. They munch on coffee cake and fuel up for loading 3 vehicles full of "stuff", including 6 children from Suz's current house to her new house, which is beautiful!

10:15--Henry and I arrive just in time to carry in the last 2 boxes of "stuff". The kids play with toys and run through a nearly empty home for 90 minutes. We visit, share stories, plan for the future, and express thanks for having such great friends to spend the morning with.

11:00--Kim opens her "Mary Poppins" bag (happened to be a grocery bag today--nothing fashionable...however, it was grey, which happens to be a trendy color this season) and whips up a spread for hungry kids. We all sit on the kitchen floor munching on apples and sandwiches for a quick picnic lunch.

11:45--Throw the toys in the playroom, bathroom breaks, diaper changes and everyone parts their way until next Wednesday morning.

Now I'm not trying to paint a "my-life-is-perfect" portrait because that's so far from the truth. I am expressing my contentment and thankfulness for the blessings that have come into my life. This morning didn't not happen without blood, fighting, hitting, meltdowns, sharing of pacifiers & sippies & 12 oz of Diet Pepsi. What's awesome is that God gave me these friends to help support me and bring me to saner moments of my life as a mother when we part ways. He has shown me that He provides--14 months ago, I didn't know a single person who I was with this morning. (The group was missing my childhood friend who orchestrated the play group. She had had to work this morning). He is amazing, and I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment