Monday, February 28

ix-cyting updates of 1 birth & 2 recipes & a pet peeve

I'm going to start with some really, really ix-cyting news that just makes me want to pee my pants! My friend Melani and her husband Lance became parents last night to this adorable little boy named Mason. He's just about the cutest little bugger I have ever laid eyes on.

About an hour before I received Mel's text announcing his birth, I told Scott that I getting a bit anxious because I had not heard from her. After he assured me that these things take time, I relaxed enough to fall asleep. I was so excited to hear my phone vibrate at 10:15 and see that Mason safely made it into this world shortly passed 9pm.

My heart was overjoyed for Melani and Lance as I imagined Mason's birth was exhilarating. My mind then began to wander back to the day Harrison was delivered and how the world stopped, my heart skipped a few several (thousand) beats, and life felt so surreal. I was so grateful for God's blessings and the quiet strength of the woman who agreed so whole heartedly to birth him into this world.

Now, it's getting really late and I'm wide awake. I'm overly excited for Melani, thinking about the births of my own children, and wishing they were awake so I could hug and kiss them. Wanting to be closer, I found myself drifting to Henry's room just to be near my own precious child. After curling up next to him and watching him sleep, I felt a sense of security and calmness come over me. Mason's birth was a reminder to me of the privilege to have children--they are sweet and at times down right naughty, but such a gift from God.

Sigh.

Can I really go on to give you two recipes after that beautiful moment?

Yep.

And then I'm going to move on to share an irritation with you.

The purse party was a success yesterday. These women and I are really getting good at picking out bags and then customizing them to our liking. Know what else we are getting really good at?

Eating!

Here are those two really ix-cyting recipes that I promised to share with you. Try them and tell us whatcha think!

Pomegranate Avocado Salsa
(recipe found in my MOPS heartnotes)
1 1/3c diced peeled avocado (about 2 avocados)
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2c clementine sections (about 6 clementines)
1c pomegranate seeds (about 1 medium pomegranate)
1/2c thinly sliced green onions
1/2c minced fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 jalapeno seeded and minced

To prepare, combine avocado and juice in a bowl; toss gently to coat. Add clementine sections and remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.

I used red onions instead of green because it's what I had on hand and skipped the jalapenos because not everyone likes it hot and spicy (like I do)!
Serve with tortilla chips or eat as a salad. There is a recipe for spiced chips to eat the salsa with but in my opinion, are not worthy of this blog :) kidding, I just think that a salty ole tortilla chip is what this dip deserves!

Hot Feta, Artichoke and Roasted Red Pepper Dip
1 can artichoke hearts, chopped
2 roasted red peppers, chopped
1/2c (each) feta, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses
1/2 c mayo
1/2c sour cream

Mix all of the above ingredients together and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve with crusty bread or chips.

I have decided that my pet peeve is way too long to get into today, and so inappropriate for such an ix-cyting post. So I've copied and pasted what I started to say and will post in another entry after I give it careful thought as to how I want to share my thoughts. I was really irritated and bothered an hour ago by a comment I saw on Facebook. Nope, not a Facebook member, but like others of you out there, my spouse has an account that I log into and get updates on some of my long lost friends.

I have only a few minutes before I have to wake the baby to pick up the big brother at school. However, I want to leave you with the question I am pondering....is Facebook the new way of staying up close and personal with people who you care about?

No comments:

Post a Comment