Monday, February 28

pet peeve

In my original rant, I was upset with Facebook. However, after giving it some thought, I've decided that I'm not upset with Facebook, I'm upset at how some people use Facebook--better yet, how some people expect others to use Facebook.

Let's me set the record straight. I'm not a member of Facebook (which, actually annoys the crap out of me that I'm complaining about anything that has to do with Facebook), however I enjoy logging in onto my husband's account and getting caught up on some of my friends that he's friends with. The single reason that I don't have an account is that I just don't want to give it more of my time than it deserves (social media has a way of sucking me in.)

Facebook is suppose to be a fun way of people keeping tabs of long-lost friends and harmlessly communicating with people whom you label as "friend". It allows us to snoop (would you agree?) on others, get a glimpse into their lives and take a mental break from reality.

What I am finding scary is that Facebook has become some people's reality. They spend way too much time updating their status multiple times day, giving us glimpses that we perhaps don't need to know. Facebook gives its members the option to hide these people without de-friending them, which I think is brilliant.

However, isn't the same reason Facebook was created--to stay connected, also destroying close personal connections with people? Is Facebook suppose to be a substitute for picking up the phone and chatting with a friend who you need to catch up with? Is Facebook suppose to be a substitute for that visit you've needed to arrange to visit a family member, see a new baby, take a meal over to someone who's sick?

I am all about working at relationships with people who I choose to have close personal connections with. I believe Facebook can assist to some extend; however, if you desire more from a relationship, you're going to have to step away from the keyboard.

This entire rant of mine stems from a comment made from one "friend" to another. One "friend" demanded that she put more information on her page so that she can stay updated and "connected". I about fell off my chair, I was so angry at this avid Facebookers request. You cannot have expectations about how often, what kind and how personal the information people post. If you expect to stay connected with people, again, step away from the keyboard and pick up the phone.

In a nutshell:
  • Maybe I should stay off my husband's Facebook's account, so my complaint is valid.
  • Social media is a wonderful invention. Hel-lo, I'm a blogger, not opposed to modern inventions, don't make assumptions.
  • I cannot control people. This post, which will probably only be read by my mom, will not change anyone's Facebook behavior; however it will make me feel better.
  • I won't always interpret tone correctly.
  • Lower my expectations of people when it comes to common sense. Good relationship = hard work, who would have thunk?

No comments:

Post a Comment