Wednesday, August 12

Drinks Anyone?

"Aren't you glad you aren't getting fat and you can drink?" I usually respond lightheartedly with, "I know! This is the only pregnancy that I've had where I can actually enjoy a drink."

People often joke, "You look so good for being pregnant." (This always makes me laugh and feel a bit guilty at the same time.) My favorite experience with this thought was while sitting on our friend's dock as they conversed with their parent's and a lady I didn't know. The mother started asking me questions about the pregnancy and then said, "Now, when is the baby due?" I said, "September 2." The stranger looked at my belly (I was in a swimming suit, keep in mind.) and said, "Ooooooh," in a high pitched tone. I just smiled and let her think whatever it was she was thinking.

Sherry's husband, Todd (who relocates people across country with his big moving truck) was working one day with some company buddies that he and Sherry have known for quite some time. They were small talking when Todd told them Sherry was expecting. They were shocked to learn the news. Todd continued his story by explaining that they baby isn't his, and she got pregnant while he was in Florida. He left them in shock and awe has he never told the rest of the story, until much much later.

Sherry goes to the grocery store and has a conversation with a clerk. The clerk proceeds to ask questions about Sherry's pregnancy. When Sherry explains the situation a bit more, the clerk says, "Oh, so you are the one they were talking about." Sherry smiles and nods.

Sherry's carpooling with her five-year-old daughter, Ally and Ally's friend, Ally K. Ally K. asks Ally, "What are you going to name your baby?" Ally responds, "The baby isn't ours." Ally K. processes this thought and asks Ally again, "What are you going to name your baby?" Ally explains that the baby is going to live with her aunt and uncle. There is silence the rest of the way to their destination. The next time Sherry speaks with Ally K.'s mom, Sherry learns that Ally K. wants someone to have a baby for her when she grows up so that she doesn't have to have any shots.

Have you ever seen a woman walk into a doctor's office with her sister-in-law and brother in tow? I think that's funny!

We visit friends who are expecting a baby. Henry points to the girl's belly and asks if that one is ours too.

1 comment: