Thursday, August 6

The Kid Table

Remember when you were younger and having dinner meant that you had to sit at the kids' table? The kids' table meant that you were not sophisticated enough to use the fine china or hold adult conversation. I always looked forward to the day when I would graduate to the adult table. Today, I realized that sitting at the adult table is not all that fun. I was fortunate enough to have the pleasure of sitting at the kids' table for a picnic lunch with my Henry, nephew and three nieces. I didn't partake in conversation, just sat there observing the little ones eat cold meat sandwiches, cheese balls, sugary Kool-Aid. . .oh and the 1/2 banana on each plate that was there just for good measure on the part of us moms, they didn't get eaten. As they ate, they discussed things that were really important--who got the most cheese balls, who had drank the most Kool-Aid, and what they wanted to do when the got to the swimming pool after lunch. They got to talk with their mouths full and it didn't matter if they spilled lunch on their shirts. Napkins were not required and burping was allowed.

I liked sitting with them because it was fun, and it took me back to my childhood days when my cousins and I would crowd at the kids' table with our hot turkey dinners and talk about worry-free things like sledding, movies and boys. My favorite moment at the kids' table was when my sister stood up and swung her braided ponytail around in a circle like a helicopter. It was funny, pointless and very random--just like the conversations I heard today. As I watched them interact, I couldn't help but smile and hope to have more fun, pointless and random moments in my life like I did today.

1 comment:

  1. Remind me to try that one again at Thanksgiving -ble

    ReplyDelete